Blog #6...can you believe it?!
Cutting bread, crackers, cookies, and pasta out of your diet is hard work. I will not sit here and act like it has been the “easiest decision of my life,” or that, “I did it with no problems.” In reality, I had intense cravings, cheated, and admittedly shed a tear or two when I had to pass the rolls when out to dinner.
Cutting bread, crackers, cookies, and pasta out of your diet is hard work. I will not sit here and act like it has been the “easiest decision of my life,” or that, “I did it with no problems.” In reality, I had intense cravings, cheated, and admittedly shed a tear or two when I had to pass the rolls when out to dinner.
Even though cutting out gluten may sound healthy, you must
pay careful attention to your diet. Cutting out grains means that you are also
cutting out nutrients—BAD! Lucky for you, I am here to guide you through the
process of re-incorporating these nutrients into your diet, without spending
your paycheck on those expensive vitamin pills!
Iron
- Gluten-free individuals (including myself) often suffer from anemia. Anemia is caused from a lack of iron in your blood, and results in lethargy, irritability, and pale complexion. After the first few months of being gluten-free, I scheduled a blood test because I was feeling tired all the time. I could not exercise, and I found it hard to wake up in the mornings. The test showed that I was severely anemic, and the doctor asked what kind of diet I followed. “Gluten-free!” I said proudly. He smiled and said, “Well, there is your culprit.” He explained that bread is usually enriched with iron, and that when we cut out bread from our diets, we are also cutting out crucial iron sources. In serious cases, such as mine, sometimes the only choice is to take a supplement. But when your iron levels are only subtly low, you can usually get yourself back to normal by eating plenty of leafy greens, fish, and meat.
![]() |
| Check out these iron sources! |
Fiber
- Grains give us 44% of the daily fiber we need in a day. That statistic speaks for itself when it comes to emphasizing the importance of keeping grains in your diet despite being gluten-free. Gluten-free breads and pastas may seem like the perfect alternative to regular wheat-based foods, but these modified versions do not have the same amount of fiber! Fruits and vegetables should be your go-to source to maintain the proper amount of fiber in your diet. An easy fix: mix some veggies into your gluten-free pasta!
![]() |
| Mineral Chart--Study and Learn! |
Folic Acid
- Folic Acid is a B vitamin that aids in blood mineral levels, healthy hearts and minds, and, helps us to age well and maintain strong bones. Additionally, Folic Acid is crucial to the creation of DNA. Gluten-free individuals should especially watch their folic acid intake if they are prone to anemia. The since 1998 the FDA requires the addition of folic acid to wheat products, but this is not a requirement for gluten-free foods. Because of this, gluten-free individuals should look for folic acids in foods such as asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, and leafy green vegetables.
Carbohydrates/Fat/Protein
- Carbs are the first thing to go when you begin a gluten-free diet, but did you know that carbs are our main source of energy? Every tissue in the body uses carbohydrates as fuel, and it is our go-to resource for immediate energy. Gluten-free individuals should look for carbs in fruit, yogurt, cheese, vegetables, and nuts.
- I don’t know about you…but when I hear the word “fat” I run full speed in the opposite direction. Slow down! Fat does not have to be bad! In fact, healthy fats are imperative to ensure healthy digestion and absorption of minerals. So what is a “healthy fat”? Well, health fats are often disguised as “unsaturated fats,” and can be found in foods like avocados, nuts, and salmon. Avoid food with saturated fats and trans fats, such as potato chips, cookies, fried foods, and margarine.
- Protein, Protein, Protein! They key to getting full and staying full. Protein aids in tissue and muscle growth and repair. Protein breaks into amino acids through digestion, which in turn aids in growth and energy.
The verdict?
Go NATURALLY
gluten-free. What does that mean? It means that you consume foods that
naturally do not contain gluten, but still have all of the necessary nutrients
you need in your diet. Not only is this healthier for your gut, blood, brain,
and heart, but it will also leave your wallet a lot fuller. Gluten-free
products cost between 76-518%
more than their gluten-laden counterparts.
So go gluten-free, but also go gluten-clean. It all comes down to eating foods you can find in in your
garden, on a tree, or any other organic source. Not only is this a gluten-free
model of eating, but it is also a clean-eating model, and a way to help you and
your family look and feel their best.



No comments:
Post a Comment